Property owners who have been declared 100% disabled for the previous twelve (12) months by any public or private retirement system may be eligible for the Disability Exemption.
- The taxpayer must both own and maintain the property as his or her primary residence as of January 1st.
- The taxpayer must have been classified as totally disabled under a program authorized or administered by an agency of the United States Government, or any retirement system either within or outside the state of Kentucky on January 1st for the year in which the application is made and maintain the disability classification through December 31st.
- The taxpayer must be receiving disability payments pursuant to that disability classification.
- Proof of continued disability must be provided every year.
- The most common governmental agency under which a taxpayer can obtain a totally disabled classification is Social Security/SSI. Other programs include the Veterans Administration and the Teacher’s Retirement System.
To apply, complete the Homestead/Disability Exemption Form and submit with proper documentation to:
Gallatin County PVA
P. O.Box 470
200 Washington Street
Warsaw, KY 41095